Saturday, October 26, 2013

#WorldSeries

I usually refrain from posting my thoughts right after I watch something, but I can't help it this time. The finish of game three of the #WorldSeries will be all over twitter and #ESPN and #FB in about 3 minutes. I might as well get my thoughts out while people are looking for them.

I think it was the right call. No umpire, ref, or any other official from any sport wants to be the deciding factor in an important game. If a "booth review" was an option, I'm sure the umps would have called for it. Unfortunately, (or fortunately depending on your baseball allegiance), they didn't have that option.

Strictly speaking good baseball, the #StLouisCardinals probably shouldn't have sent #Molina from second. He's not the fleetest of foot. He was out by about the length of my living room. I could have thrown him out, and my arm is partially made of spaghetti.  #Saltalamacchia tried to catch #AllenCraig for the double play, and extra innings, but the ball got past #Middlebrooks. On the throw, Craig and Middlebrooks collided and the ball wandered into left field. Craig stumbled over Middlebrooks, ran toward home, and got the warmest welcome you could ever receive as a base-runner. "Safe. You don't have to continue, you're safe no matter what."

Obstruction was called. As a result the runner is awarded the base regardless of any action following the obstruction call. A baseball purist would bitch, "It was a clean play on both sides, let them play it out and call the play as it happen(s)(ed)." I am not a purist. I still like the designated hitter. And, I like to follow the letter of the law.Without stumbling over Middlebrooks, Craig definitely would have scored the game winning run. It's not Middlebrooks fault, and it's not Saltalamacchia's fault. It's just one of those things that happens in sports where as a fan you just look at it and say, "Shit." Bad things happen to people everyday. Hopefully that's the worst thing that happens in your day, or your week, or your year, or life. I wonder what I'd say if it happened to my #WhiteSox. #HawkHarrelson would probably kill someone.

But, if you stick to the rules, as I prefer to, it was the right call. If he hadn't stumbled, Craig would have scored. The #Cards would be up a game, just the same as they are now. The only difference now is that #RedSoxNation wouldn't have a reason to call foul. Personally, I'm not sure if I want them to have a reason or not. If the Cardinals win the series, #RedSox fans will find an excuse to invalidate it.

Let'em bitch. Go Cards!

No comments:

Post a Comment