Sunday, August 9, 2015

Texas

My grandfather was born in 1926. My son was born in 2103. Needless to say, there are many years separating these great Smith men, 87 to be exact. So it was very important to me that my son got to meet his Great-Grandfather before my Papi passed away. Not many people get to meet a great-grand dad. Isaiah is lucky to have done so, even if he never remembers it.

As a result of our trip we also got to stay with my Uncle Ronnie and my Aunt Mikki Smith. They were a total blessing and took fantastic care of us. I can't thank them enough. My cousin, Stacey, also deserves our thanks. She helped organize our entire trip.

Stacey is a flight attendant with American Airlines. Amusingly, while we were in Texas, she got called to Chicago. God must have been messing with us. I drag my wife and son to #DFW, only to have my cousin get stuck in Chicago, Miami, Philly, and San Diego. She visited us last time she was here in Chicago, and she has an open invitation.

I have been, and still am, unsure how to refer to Mikki. She's been my Uncle's wife for most of my  adult life.  She's also one of the sweetest people I have ever met. What do you call her, Stacey?

Kate and I did not sleep well at all. Kate snores like a chainsaw, I talk in my sleep like a maniac. Most nights, Kate can't even tell me what the hell I'm babbling about.

The best part of the trip was my son hanging out with his cousin, David, and his Great-Grand-Nana.



 
 
Nana, is one of the best storytellers I have ever known. If you ever have a chance to meet her, she won't let you down.
 
We also got to visit Globe Life Park, in Arlington, TX. It's an absolutely gorgeous place to watch a game when it's not a hundred degrees out.  Inexplicably, it was the first ballgame my cousin had ever attended. I can't explain it. Her dad, uncles, and grandpa are all hardcore baseball/Yankee fans. How the bloody hell she didn't end up a baseball fan is a total mystery. I, myself, only brought only one hat on the trip. I usually bring 4. And it was a Chicago BlackHawks cap.
 
I love my Papi, I love my Nana. I love my cousins. My wife thought my oldest cousin was youngest uncle. I love my wife. I love my son. I love my readers, though I have no idea why I have any.
 
Thanks for reading,

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment