Saturday, August 8, 2015

As You Wish

This is my second attempt at blogging about my favorite movie ever. Last night I tried. Minutes before I posted, my tablet crashed and I lost everything. So it's with major annoyance that I write this.

According to my Mom, the first movie I ever saw in a theatre was #ET Apparently, I cried the entire time. I was only two years old. You can bet your ass, I'm not taking Isaiah to a movie any time soon. But, my first memory of going to the movies is seeing 'The Princess Bride', in 1986.

It was guy's night out with my father and I, Uncle Paul, and cousin Nathan. They aren't actual blood relatives, but Uncle Paul went to college with my dad, and I grew up with Nathan.  To me, that means family. I have no problem referring to close friends as brother, sister, uncle or aunt.

The reason I have "The Princess Bride" on my brain is because I just finished "As You Wish", by Cary Elwes, 'The Man in Black'. Brilliantly written, my only complaint is that it was not a video documentary. I absolutely loved the stories and anecdotes by Cary and cast.

So what do I say about this movie? It's also one of my favorite books, second possibly only to 'The Catcher In The Rye' and 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest". I am forever in love with Robin Wright. I have eternal man crushes on Cary Elwes, Rob Reiner, Mandy Patinkin, and Wallace Shawn. If no other movie was ever made again, I'd happily put 'The Princess Bride' on a loop. I know ever single word, from every scene.

I have, in fact, watched the movie three times in the last 24 hours. No regrets.

If you've never seen it, you're cray. I recommend you drop everything and watch it this weekend. Cancel everything. If you don't fall in love, I'll buy you a copy, then force you to watch it until you do.

Good luck, and thanks for reading,
-J

No comments:

Post a Comment