Sunday, April 12, 2015

Anyways

If I were a rockstar, I'd have an entire library of music for you to check out on Amazon, Pandora, Spotify, or whatever random music service might be most popular now. I'm clearly not a rockstar. I'm just a guy that stays at home, takes care of his son daily, and infrequently enough cleans the house and has dinner made when his working wife comes home.

I'm comfortable with that role, even if sometimes I can be kind of lazy.  (Some days I just make sure my son stays alive, drink beer, watch my shows, and fuck around with my guitar or piano.) That's life.

But I do love music. I love to play it. I love listen to and critique it. I especially love to watch my son go batshit crazy dancing when I pull out my guitar or piano and play together. My wife had a hell of a time bathing, changing, and dressing him before bed tonight because he heard me on the piano. I will never be a proper rockstar, but I bet one day my son is.

All of that was preamble to another post of a song I wrote. It's one of my favorite songs that I wrote. This is more of a pop/acoustic/rock song than the bluesy songs I last posted. Think OAR/DaveMatthews/SisterHazel, but less generically annoying. (Or just as generic and annoying.) It's called "Anyways".

I see you sitting at the end of the bar.
Twenty feet never seemed so far.
I'm way too nervous to come say hello.
But I'm not willing to just let this go.

I've already spent one night with you.
But something tells me, one night won't do.

Stay tonight. Forget about tomorrow.
Kiss me quick, and I'll never let you go.
Hold me close, and this night will never end.
And in the morning we'll go back to just being friends.

I'm in the shower singing love songs.
I can't concentrate, and I'm getting the words wrong.
My roommate says you'd be good for me.
Gotta find a way to make you see.

And I've already spent one night with you.
Something tells me that one night won't do.

So, stay tonight. Forget about tomorrow.
Kiss me quick, and I'll never let you go.
Hold me close, and this night will never end.
And in the morning we'll go back to just being friends.

A couple of notes about the pop rubbish I wrote a decade ago.

1. To my wife, sorry it's not about you. I didn't even know you then.
2. It's called "Anyways" because that is the name of the bar I was at when I conceived it. I went home and wrote it that night.
3.I'd never change anything about my past or, past relationships because then I wouldn't have my badass wife or the cutest son on Earth.
4. I haven't yet figured out how to post video, otherwise I'd post video of one or more of my songs.
5. If you are that curious to hear the songs, scour the internet. My previous bands are called #TheMakeshiftBand (lots of blues and Rolling Stones), #SecondHandBicycle (lots of Christian/pop/punk/oldies), and #PennyDomestics (original pop/punk/emo). Second Hand Bicycle and Penny Domestics had websites, The Makeshift Band only had cassette tapes and garage recording.
6. From now on, I think it's just gonna be me and my son recording. Maybe my brother. I'd include my wife, but her musical talent could break the internet. And not in the good way.

Thank you, as always spending two minutes of your life reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment