Sunday, January 18, 2015

Al Sharpton and The First Annual TV Junkie Awards

Holy crap, it's been over a month since the last time I posted. I swear, I haven't been totally neglectful. I scribble notes in my journals almost every day. My problem is that I like to get so organized before I write, that by the time I'm organized, I just want to lay down for the night. I gotta remind myself to #justwrite. So, that's what I'm going to do.

Al Sharpton is back in the news, pissed off, about black representation in the Oscar nominations.

"The movie industry is like the Rocky Mountains. The higher you get, the whiter it gets. I have called an emergency meeting early next week in Hollywood with the task force to discuss possible action around the Academy Awards." - Al Sharpton

Gimme a fuckin' break. I realize that it's been 16 years since Oscar nominations have been without a black nominee for best actor or actress. But to me, it says this wasn't a great year for black actors. It doesn't say that anyone of any race, religion, or creed was intentionally ignored. Just that this year, the best performers happened to have been white. When thinking of black performers, only #DavidOyelowo (from #Selma, nominated for best picture) pops to mind as someone who probably deserved consideration. And, I haven't seen the movie, so I can't even suggest to have an expert opinion.

My next concern, is Reverend Sharpton "discussing possible action" with his Diversity Task Force.Get a grip, people. If you are bothered by classism, or racism, or any other ism, attack it. Do something, but start with issues that matter. Poverty. Racial violence. Unemployment. Genocide. Homelessness. There are so many issues, it seems idiotic to address flesh wounds with a bandaid. Let's go after the hearts of the problems.

And, what 'action' could Sharpton possibly be discussing? Boycotts of the Academy Awards? Union protests? Actors' refusing roles? It seems to me, everyone's energy, time, and money could be better spent serving food in a kitchen, or handing out Bibles on a street corner. It's silly, detrimental, divisive, and then silly again. We've all got to do better.

With all of this foolishness in mind, I've decided to make my own awards. #TVJunkieAwards is what I've decided to call them. My criteria is based solely on shows that I have watched, or currently watch. Also keep in mind, these are my shows. If I don't watch it, I don't rank it. I do what I want, when I want.  I'll list other nominees for some of my lists. Other lists, will just reveal my #1s.

Best Drama
I have to say #Scandal. The show blows my mind every time I watch a new episode.The new show #Empire, #TheGoodWife, #PersonOfInterest, and #Elementary were all runner-ups.

Best Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine #B99 I love #LastManStanding, #Blackish, #NewGirl, and #TheBigBangTheory, but B99 is the funniest. If Mike Baxter were a real person, and needed me to go out and kick some ass, I'd be there. Unless it was someone way bigger than me. #PickYourBattles

Best Actor in a Dramatic Series
Johnny Lee Miller - #Elementary is a great crime serial, and JLM makes for an amazing #SherlockHolmes. You can't even tell, most of the time, that his accent is fake as hell.

Best Actress in a Dramatic Series
Taraji P. Henson is absolutely insane as the "gangsta bitch" in the new Fox drama #Empire. She was also pretty amazing in #PersonOfInterest, as an honest cop, before the producers killed her off (assholes). She easily beat out #StanaKatic (Castle), #MariskaHargitay (SVU), and #KerryWashington (Scandal).

Best Actress in a Comedic Series
#ZooeyDeschanel is a total scene stealer. The beginning of season 4 of #NewGirl was total crap, but after a bit of a warm-up, it's back to being hilarious. I'm sure it has nothing to do with adding black cast members to get a ratings bump. My last name isn't Sharpton, so that would never occur to me.

Best Actor in a Comedic Series
#AndySamberg dominates the sitcom universe. There has never been an episode of #B99 where he wasn't hilarious.

Best Reality Show
Utopia- I hate most reality shows, but #AmericanIdol and all #ChefGordonRamsay are pretty addicting. My personal favorite got cancelled before we found out how the pioneers dealt with money, survival, and interpersonal relationships. My Utopia wouldn't have as many crazy people, but it was as fun as it could be in such a short amount of real time.

Best Childrens' Programming
My son is just barely past one year old. So far I haven't really had to watch much children programming. Thus, his 5 minute attention span has only yielded a few favorites. He loves #CuriousGeorge, and #WinnieThePooh, but his new, current favorite, is #DoraTheExplorer. Dora is browned skin, and speaks Spanish, so you know that's alright with me. My only concern is that my parents got him a piece of baby furniture featuring #JakeThePirate, and I have no idea who the hell that character is.

Best New Comedy
I really like #AboutABoy, #Selfie, and #Blackish. About a boy is a spinoff of the #NickHornby novel of the same name. It's about a single, unemployed musician, that befriends his nerdy next-door-neighbor-kid. It's cute, but entirely forgettable. Selfie, already cancelled, is a modern take on #MyFairLady. I liked it, but I'm not sure if it was because the show was good, or if it was because it starred #KarenGillan (Doctor Who) and #JohnCho (Star Trek). Blackish is hoping to be the new #CosbyShow about an affluent black family worried about how to teach their kids about being minorities. I was worried about Blackish as a premise, and what might be the mainstream reaction, but it's hilarious, and I recommend it to everyone. Even white people.

Best New Drama
Gotham - I've always been a #DC comic guy, so #Gotham was an easy show to look forward to.At first, I worried they'd introduce too many villains at once. The first few episodes introduced Catwoman, The Riddler, The Penguin, Poison Ivy, and various gangsters.But, it has so far slowed down the character development, and allowed for more interesting storylines. Hopefully, they keep it up. It would be a shame to waste such great performances by #BenMcKenzie.

Finally, I have to throw the worsts of 2014 out there for you to hopefully trust me, and not watch.

Worst Drama
Mixology - Brutal. Just absolutely, awful. I tried to watch the first few episodes, hoping it'd get better. It got worse. Time machine research would be a more economical spending of money than trying to get this awful show out of the gutter. Take my word for it. It's not even worth viewing to see how bad it is.

Worst Comedy
Mom - Not funny. Not endearing. Not cute. Skip it at all costs. The show's only saving grace is that #AllisonJanney is in it, and I still love her from #TheWestWing.

Well, I guess that's enough for now. I've got more coming. My next post will be about something I saw rewatching #Friends on #Netflix. I dare you to guess. Until then,

"You've got a friend in me." - Toy Story

-JJ



No comments:

Post a Comment