Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Ashmores, Sam Jacksons, and Eleventy-First Birthdays

One of the most hilarious #SamuelLJackson moments ever went viral on a Monday, from a morning interview by #SamRubin, the entertainment reporter for KTLA, Los Angeles' channel five. After asking Jackson about the new #Robocop remake, and the newest #CaptainAmericaTheWinterSoldier trailer, Rubin proceeded to put his foot in his mouth by asking Jackson about reaction from the Superbowl commercial, that um, Jackson was not in. That was, um #LaurenceFishburne...

Jackson spent the rest of the interview intermittently verbally #bitchslapping Rubin, who was visibly embarrassed. [I'm not Laurence Fishburne! We may be Black and famous, but we don't all look alike.] Check out a cross-section of the interview here http://newsbreakerextra.ora.tv/2014/02/10/todays-lol-samuel-l-jackson-attacks-news-anchor-for-thinking-hes-laurence-fishburne/ . On the one hand, I can totally understand why Jackson is/was pissed off about it. Fishburne and Jackson are two of the most iconic black actors working in Hollywood, and their roles are so famously unique, a ten year old wouldn't confuse them. See if you can pick them out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzVFugFcUto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGQF8LAmiaE

See? Not difficult. If you need further proof, check out their filmographies. Vast, unique, and both utterly amazing.

Now, on the other hand, I feel really bad for Sam Rubin. I don't know him personally, but I doubt he's a racist. Sometimes, regardless of intent, knowledge, or training, the human brain makes a connection and is unable to slow down before impulses are sent, and embarrassing nonsense comes streaming out of the mouth. I've done it, I bet a lot of us have done it. It doesn't excuse Rubin for the mistake. After all, he's an ENTERTAINMENT REPORTER/ANCHOR for a major market news source. I'd hope that he was more prepared with his questions for a super-celebrity. Jackson commented, "It must have been a very short line for your job." If indeed, the line is short, I'd like to be standing in it. Which brings me to the topic of this post. (The introduction ended up being longer than I'd planned, but it was just too funny and entertaining to pass up.)

I've been mistaken, ignorant, and just plain dead wrong for 15 years! That #Ashmore actor I've enjoyed in #XMen, #TheFollowing, #Smallville, and countless other shows and films... ARE TWO DIFFERENT PEOPLE!!!
That's right. Identical twin brothers. I feel like a total moron for not having known this years ago. And I'm not saying that all white dudes look the same, but in this situation, they literally, by definition, look the same.

For Valentine's Day this year, my wife got me the first season of Smallville. (I already have season 5-10, but that's a separate story.) If she had not, I still would be in the dark about the twins. #ShawnAshmore (#Iceman) plays Eric Summers in a season one episode, and a season three episode of Smallville.
#AaronAshmore (#Warehouse13) plays #JimmyOlsen from season six until season 10.
Twin brothers, playing different characters, on the same show. Because that's not confusing. And if that didn't confuse you (I hate you), here's a picture of them playing alternate versions of themselves on the set of #Fringe.
Looks like they're having fun with it. But the joke is on them. I've referred to both of them as Aaron Ashmore for a decade. He's a minute older, and an inch taller. Possibly. I could have that confused as well.

I guess I've got them straight now. What a relief. But... then it occurred to me. How many other actors have I loved, not realizing they were twins, #cylons, or clones. I do watch a lot of #scifi, after all. So I did a quick net search to see how many other actors have been messing with me. Mostly it wasn't a surprising list. For instance, did you know that Mary Kate Olsen has a twin named Ashley? Or that the Mowry girls from 'Sister, Sister' were real life twins? Duh. Ashton Kutcher, Kiefer Sutherland, and Scarlett Johansson also have twin siblings. The only new bits of information that annoyed me to learn were that #LindaHamilton, aka Sarah Connor in #TheTerminator franchise, #VinDiesel, and #NicholasBrendon also have twins siblings. With as much #JossWhedon (and oh yea, #CriminalMinds) as I've consumed I should have at least caught #XanderHarris from #Buffy.


So that's it, for now. Apparently, I don't know half as much as I think I know, and I know less than half as much as I know I should know. With the #Olympics dominating primetime. My next post will probably be about all of the movies I should have seen, but haven't yet. Talk to you soon.  -J

"I don't half of you, half as well as I should like. And I like less than half of you, half as well as you deserve." --Bilbo Baggins, on his eleventy-first birthday






No comments:

Post a Comment