Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Obama Farewell Address

I honestly didn't want to write about POTUS farewell address. Everything about our country's recent election has been so polarizing and divisive. I'm a registered Republican, that only voted in the primaries. I voted for Bernie. Trump was never gonna win IL, so I voted for the least of all presidential evils.

That being said, there was far too much entertaining journalistic value during Obama's farewell speech. Obama is such an amazing orator, and our country's political situation is so screwed, that I couldn't help but grab my journal and start scribbling my thoughts down.

1. The audience immediately started chanting "FOUR MORE YEARS!" Obama responded immediately, "I can't do that." My wife laughed and said, "Besides it being illegal/unconstitutional, Michelle Obama would probably kill him if he had a third term."?

2. Following up on my first thought. I didn't vote for Obama four years ago. I'd give him a third term over the clowns we had to choose between. Thanks, FDR and the constitution for term limits.

3. Obama mentioned that our country's forefather's vision was for a tolerant, equitable nation for all people. Maybe his speech writer forgot that black people were only legally 3/5ths of a person, and most of the 'forefathers' were slave owners.

4. I'm pretty sure that Obama almost quoted Sarek of Vulcan, Spock's father from Star Trek. "Challenge your preconceptions, or they will challenge you."

5. I believe that Joe Biden is a cartoon character. 'Family Guy' or 'The Simpsons' would be most appropriate.

6. Barack said the he isn't going anywhere in support of our country, now as a citizen. My bet is that he, (and the American people), know that Trump needs all the help he can get from someone actually qualified to do the job.

7. Remember that moment during the address when POTUS made fun of a special needs reporter, called Mexicans rapist job stealers, and all people of middle eastern decent terrorists? If you don't, that's because he didn't. We can just leave that for our president elect.

8. Muslim American???!!! I'd expect more from Obama. There's no such damned thing! Islam is a religion. No one has ever called me Catholic-American. I've never heard of a Buddhist-American, Christian-American, Jewish-American, Scientologist-American, Jedi-American, Hindu-American, or Pagan-American. I've been called African-American and I've never seen or been to Africa. Our heritage or religion does not determine how 'American' we may or may not be. Holy shit, Trump supporters are turning me liberal.

8. Last point. Sean Hannity had a pre-recorded "response" to Barack Obama's 'Farewell Address'. Ok.Sure. But you can't actually "respond" to a live address, in a pre-recorded video BEFORE it was broadcast. I have  the 'Back to the Future' box set on dvd, I'd know.

As always, thank you for reading.

Salaam,
-J

No comments:

Post a Comment