Wednesday, November 19, 2014

The Force Awakens

I guess Star Wars is kind of a big deal to me. When I was four or five, I lied to our babysitter. I told her, "Of course I'm allowed to watch it. I've seen it lots of times." In fact, I was not allowed to watch it. A smart kid wouldn't have mentioned it to his parents. I was smart, but I was/is also a fanboy. I liked it so much that the moment my parents walked through the door, I started blabbing about how amazing it was and how much I wanted to watch The Empire Strikes Back. Thankfully, I didn't get in trouble. (Probably, because my Dad was/is also a fanboy.)

When The Phantom Menace trailer came out I saw two movies, just to see it. The Waterboy was crap, but tolerable. Wing Commander is one of the worst movies of all time (I have a list). But I still went. Because I needed more Star Wars.

In 1999, when The Phantom Menace was released, I camped outside the theatre for about 36 hours. We didn't bother with tents, but we did have a TV and DVD player playing Episodes 4 through 6 the entire time.Even with all of the other lunatics there, I was the first person through the door, and the first in a seat. (A quick thanks to those friends that brought us food.) Oh, and then I saw it three more times.

My son's middle name is Jedi. No joke.

So yes, Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens, is a big deal to me.

Last week the official title was revealed. The Force Awakens. The title doesn't give away much, but it does suggest we'll get to see a new order of Jedi. In the post 'Return of the Jedi' novels Han Solo and Leia have kids that are strong in the force. I hope that's what this next trilogy is about.

But the more interesting rumors are about Luke and Han for the next movie.

Harrison Ford has for a long time said that he wants Han Solo to get killed off. I don't much like it, but I guess if the actor doesn't want to do it anymore, better to kill his character than have him half-ass it and ruin a potentially great movie. I hope if he does die, he goes off as a hero. Maybe like when he took the Millennium Falcon to the Death Star to help Luke. Only this time, he saves the day, but dies a martyr. Or maybe he could take a bullet for Chewie and die. That would also be a grand exit.

The other rumor I've read and heard, is that Luke Skywalker goes insane.I don't know how to feel about that. We've seen evil Jedi/Sith, and we've seen deluded. A completely mad Jedi would be a whole new and fun thing. Is he mad like killing people? Is he mad like a vigilante gone wrong? Is he mad like go find a Dagobah-like swamp and become a hermit? I don't know, but that could be a very interesting twist in the story.

I'm excited. Disney and Lucasfilm are being very tight lipped. But I can count on a few things. Jar Jar Binks is long dead. So, no Jar Jar. Hayden Christensen won't be whining about Obi Wan picking on him. Luke will not be a pussy. "But I was going into the Tosche station to pick up some power converters." Lastly, we will NOT see Ewoks kick stormtroopers' asses with literally, sticks and stones.

I don't think I'll be able to camp out this time, with a one-year-old, but who wants to go see it with me?

May the Force Be With You
-JJ

No comments:

Post a Comment