Monday, January 20, 2020

Batwoman

I know I promised to post parts 2 and 3 of  "Cancel, Renew, Bubble and Working My Last Nerves" shortly after I posted part 1. I still plan to. "Renew, Bubble, and My Last Nerves" are still on the agenda, but first I have to react an episode of 'Batwoman', and an article I read. Be forewarned. My thoughts and opinions will probably not be well received. Especially since I'm going to talk about gays and women, in television.

According to a mostly recent Gallup poll, (Summer, 2019), the average American guesses that around 20% of people identify as LGBQT or whatever. I guessed 10%. According to the same article, the actual number is closer 5%. For the sake of this conversation, I'm going to double that, to account for those still that choose to keep their orientation private. So let's call it, 1 out of 10 people are LGBQT.

My personal background and upbringing should confuse you. I'm Black and Puerto Rican. My wife is Sicilian and Welsh, our son is all of those. My sister married a white boy. My brother is half black, half white, married a white girl and made 5 kids. I'm conservative, Republicaan, but not a Trumper.

Are you caught up yet?

The articles I read explain the discrepancy between perception and reality. Over the past few years, it has become cool, trendy, and socially responsible to over-represent the LGBQT in popular culture. It's like, "Look at us producers! Look how 'woke' we are!

Here's where the whole thing falls apart. I'm a conservative, registered Republican, and I DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR SEXUAL ORIENTATION! Ellen, who I think is amazing, dswas the least entertaining right after she came out of the closet. We get it. Every other joke doesn't have to be a joke. It's lazy writing. Do better.

Batwoman, for cryin' out loud!!! Talk about heavy handed. This is the first episode after the Crisis, a 5 episode crossover event, spanning all 5 Arrowverse shows, and at least 6 other iterations of the DC Universe, culminating in them all joining forces in the last universe. And what do you  suppose the first new episode is about? Batwoman's sexuality. Really?

"I'm gay," will never in a the multiverse beat out "I'm Batman's cousin, and yesterday I helped saved the Justice League. #GetTheFuckOutOfHere

I don't care if you're a gay, Batwoman. I don't care if you live in a ghetto #BlackLightning. I don't care if you're a black woman raised by Vulcans. I don't care if you're a black, lady, ,Ghostbuster. I don't care if you're a fake blonde, mad-person in a derelict police box.

All I care about is the 30-60 minutes I'm gonna watch tv, and whatever extra sleep I can squeeze in over the next 2 months.




No comments:

Post a Comment