Monday, February 11, 2019

Designated Hitter

I didn't plan on making a blog post. But, a buddy tagged me on social media, I responded, and then decided my response was worth sharing. Follow Mike on twitter @procm2 or Mike Prochaska on FB.

 The reason you remember these great examples of pitchers hitting (Wood) is because it's anomalous. His career batting average is .171. So despite every dinger he got, he failed to get on base 1/5th of the time, and struck out a third of those. And he's one of the better hitting pitchers. 

I'm not totally on board for the DH in the NL. I think the league differences make the game more interesting. 

But if there has to be a change, only 2 things make sense. Eliminate the DH completely (never gonna happen), or integrate it into the NL.

But seriously, just leave it be.


That was my response to a friend's post. Now, you get my add-on thoughts about the DH.

It's called "specialization". It occurs in every profession. I am professionally a Stay at Home Dad, and a bartender. I also dabble as a homechef. My brother installs and repairs garage doors. My wife teaches high school English. My brother is not gonna quote Shakespeare. My wife is not gonna make a 'Moscow Mule'. And I, sure as shit, am not fixing anyone's garage.

In baseball, you don't expect your third baseman to pitch. Your catcher doesn't just jump in at shortstop.You sure don't burn a starting pitcher to start at second base or maybe outfield, though it happens in an emergency. If you might be a hundred pound slugger, be a DH. If you can throw a 100 mph fastball and a curverball that falls off the table, become a closer. If you can throw 200 pitches for strikes you're a starter. That's what they pay too much money to do. And it's hilarious when they're asked to step outside their lane. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v31OsQ3osWw

Side note, after that pitiful excuse for a Superbowl, I'm very happy that pitchers and catchers report to spring training tomorrow.

Mahalo, 

Jason


1 comment: